Monday, November 23, 2015

110 stadiums & counting (aka, 3 games in 3 days across 3 states, part 2)

For the second game in my (not quite) road trip, I flew to El Paso to finally see the Sun Bowl, which was #110 on the list.  The Sun Bowl is a stadium I have been looking forward to seeing for a long time, since I have been told numerous times it is unique as it was literally carved out of the mountain.  While this is a little bit of an overstatement, it is a decent stadium.  Very small crowd though, so I even said in my review this stadium may be best seen for the bowl game in December.  I didn't realize this until I went there, but the Sun Bowl was actually BUILT for the express purpose of having the bowl game, b/c their old stadium just wouldn't suffice.


Read my review of the stadium here:
http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/sun-bowl-stadium-s483/

BTW, I did not mention this in my review (should have) but on 3rd downs, like many schools the Miners do a sound/chant, and in this case it is particularly annoying - they ring a bell/gong, and the announcer says, "Okay, fans, it's time for the 3rd down TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL..." (that is "toll", for people who absolutely hate stretched-out vowels and consonants).  In fact, this chant is SO absolutely annoying, that I noticed by the end of the game even the announcer stopped doing it!

Two other points I will make about this trip:

1) I finally finished all of the FBS stadiums in Texas, which perhaps not surprisingly is home to a whopping 12 FBS teams - the most of any state in the country.  5 points if you can name them all.
There are multiple states that have 0 FBS teams, so 12 is practically infinity times as many.

2) I have said it before, but again, it is nice when the home team wins.  People leave happy, smiles on their faces, and if you zoom out as soon as triple zeroes hit (like me, since I am not a native) it is sometimes easier to get out, as home fans stay and celebrate - at some schools for example the team sings a song or does something to thank the fans after a win, and at other schools you can even go onto the field for at least a few minutes.

Check back again soon for part 3 - if I was better at planning I would commit to a firm date of when that would be, but sadly I am not that good yet.




No comments: