Tuesday, October 04, 2016

119 and counting

For those who have read my posts before, you may remember I am on the ultimate stadium journey to visit all 128 (soon to be 130) FBS stadiums.  As of last season I was up to 115, and this year I have already visited 4, with 8 more on the list for this season - I plan to finish up next year.


On September 17th I traveled to nearby Charlotte, North Carolina, home of the Charlotte 49ers (so named because of the discovery of gold in this state over a century ago).  Charlotte recently moved up to the FBS, and is now a full-fledged member of Conference USA.

Then last weekend I traveled to Michigan to see Eastern Michigan (Ypsilanti) and Western Michigan (Kalamazoo).  Rynearson Stadium (EMU) is really cool because it actually has a gray field, making it only the second non-green surface in FBS (take that Boise State!).  And Waldo Stadium (WMU) is right next to a train track, so you can actually see (and hear) trains go by during some of the games, which is certainly unique.

But the jewel of the crown so far this year was Husky Stadium in Seattle, Washington, home of the Washington Huskies.  Let me tell you, I went out there a few days ago for a Friday night game, and this place is something else.  I actually write stadium reviews for a website called StadiumJourney (more on that in a moment), and Husky Stadium got the highest marks my cynical self has ever given!

This place is awesome - annually voted as one of the most scenic football stadiums in America, it sits right on Lake Washington, and has terrific views from inside the stadium of the lake, Mt. Rainier, parts of the Seattle skyline, and the Cascade Mountains.  People actually 'sailgate' there, partying on the lake before kickoff, and the UW crew team even offers shuttle service to take people from their boats to the game.

Besides that though, Husky Stadium is officially the loudest college football stadium in America, and ESPN has the data to prove it.  Thanks to cantilevered metal roofs over both sidelines, a decibel level of 133.6 was once recorded here, the highest officially noted.  That makes 2 reasons to check out this stadium if you have the chance, totally worth it - perfect stadium for #119 on my list if I do say so myself.

In fairness, I should mention that I have actually been there before; I was once on a mission from God in that area, and a buddy of ours took us onto the field to play flag football, so I have even kicked a field goal through one of the uprights there!  Technically it was from the 2 yard line, so more like an extra point, right?  But still worth 3 points, baby!  So I have a soft spot for the place, maybe I am a little biased, but pretty damn cool stadium nevertheless.

Check out my review of Husky Stadium, as well as some other recent ones I have done, using the links below.  Also, be sure to check back in next week for an update on my journey; #120 and #121 are on tap for this week.

  • http://www.scout.com/stadium-journey/stadium/420-alaska-airlines-field-at-husky-stadium-washington-huskies/review
  • http://www.scout.com/stadium-journey/story/1705526-the-battle-at-bristol
  • http://www.scout.com/stadium-journey/stadium/2964-bristol-motor-speedway-battle-at-bristol
  • http://www.scout.com/stadium-journey/stadium/474-rynearson-stadium-eastern-michigan-eagles
  • http://www.scout.com/stadium-journey/stadium/493-waldo-stadium-western-michigan-broncos          

No comments: