Saturday, January 16, 2016

Monte Irvin, RIP

Now that's a baseball card

Lost in all the nonsense about the Rams moving and the Chargers maybe moving and God knows what else this week was a story you probably missed: Hall of Fame outfielder Monte Irvin, late of the Negro Leagues and the New York Giants, passed away.


I will let others eulogize him more eloquently than I could, but I must say this: If you've read this site at all, you've probably stumbled across the story of why my father hates Pete Rose due to Rose's behavior at a charity event put on by the American Cancer Society. Mr. Irvin attended that same event and was a magnificent gentleman. And even though in those days I was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan - due largely to the fact that my folks had a giant pile of aging Bums yearbooks extolling the virtues of the Shotgun Shubas and Junior Gilliams of the world - I became a Monte Irvin fan. 

Rest in peace and Godspeed, sir. You'll be missed.

No comments: