- New commissioner Rob Manfred has repeatedly gone on record as holding positions that are largely in line with the owners' economic interests (speeding up the game w/o cutting any of those precious commercials, etc.) and tilted away from those of the players.
- Angels OF Josh Hamilton is about to have his suspension for a drug relapse announced. It could be a very long suspension.
- Hamilton makes a lot of money, and in the minds of many, did not quite live up to that contract.
- By suspending Hamilton, Manfred provides a great deal of salary relief to Angels owner Arte Moreno.
- Moreno is one of Manfred's bosses.
Far-fetched, of course. But like they say, I'm just the one asking the questions.
(and if Manfred weighs in on the Yankees' attempt to avoid paying A-Rod his HR bonuses,well, that's just another piece of evidence, isn't it.)