Sunday, April 01, 2012

We Must (Not) Ignite This Couch

If there is anyone out there who can draw the logical progression from "A sports team I cheer for won a game" to "I should set this total stranger's property on fire", please feel free to post it in the comments below.
For my part, bearing in mind that I am A)careening rapidly towards middle age and B)generally a fan of teams who couldn't win a giant stuffed animal at the state fair midway if you spotted them three milk jugs and let them stand inside the booth, I don't get it. Yeah, you want to celebrate. Yeah, you want to live in the moment. But how you get from that to "We should bust into a total stranger's place, haul their furniture out into the street and torch it" is beyond me.
I'm fairly certain there are ways to celebrate your favorite team winning a big game that don't involve acting like a douchebag. Many of these even involve drinking, carousing, getting together with a few thousand of your closest friends in the street and sharing in the moment of shared joy. But if you cannot actually experience the thrill of victory without arson, theft, and general mob behavior, maybe it's time to re-examine what you're actually getting out of being a fan.
Because whatever it is, rooting clearly isn't enough.

No comments: